Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cupcakes Anyone?

I need to give you a little background on today's post. About a year and a half ago, one of the girls I work with was throwing a baby shower for a friend and wanted something to put candy in to give as party favors. The shower theme was cupcakes and cherry blossoms. Well, I racked my brain trying to figure out something that would incorporate both. I had the idea of just a box with some cherry blossom cuts on it, but couldn't find the right cut I wanted on any Cricut cartridge.

I began searching online for box patterns and ran across a template from Hot off the Press for a cupcake box. I almost bought the template that night because it would have been perfect. I told the girl my idea and she loved it. Then she told me she would need 60 boxes, yes 60, six, zero. Well that template was out. I would have to cut by hand 60 cupcake boxes and I only had about 3 weeks to get them done.

Since I had opened my mouth and she was set on cupcakes, I couldn't change it, so back to the internet I went. I found another pattern on a digital site that could be printed and then cut out. It was so simple, I decided I could make my own using my Gypsy. I had my Gypsy for about 9 months and never really played with it. I watched a few you-tube videos on the basics and checked the Cricut message board for tips and suggestions and got to work. It took all weekend to get the design just right and several test cuts for the correct sizing, but in the end I had made an adorable cupcake box. I took the prototype to work and it was a go. I spent the next couple weeks cutting and glueing 60 cupcake boxes together.

I can't believe how well my first Gypsy project turned out. The boxes were the hit of the party too. I used Sweet Treats and George cartridges, all the paper is Close to my Heart, the ribbon is from Michael's.








The inside is quite large




2 comments:

Michelle said...

Laurie this is so cute and hilarious at the same time - have you checked out my blog post today?http://ladyofleisureink.blogspot.com/2012/03/cupcakes-anyone.html

Anonymous said...

Love the cupcake boxes! I do not use my gypsy that much...I am inspired by your boxes and how adorable they are. God bless, Smoochie